GIRL SHOT INSIDE HOME
Girl's bleeding from shooting mistaken for period
HAYWARD, Calif. (AP) — Police say a Northern California family didn't call 911 for more than five hours after a 10-year-old girl was shot because they thought she had started menstruating.
The girl was sleeping in her Hayward home early Thursday when a stray bullet from a nearby shooting wounded her in the buttocks.
Sgt. Mark Ormsby says when the girl woke up in pain, she thought she had started her period. Her parents found no indication she had been shot when they took her to the bathroom.
Ormsby said when she woke up for school and was still in pain, her parents inspected her bed and saw bullet holes.
The girl's doctor told investigators the bullet's entry wound was small and could have been easily overlooked if the family thought she was menstruating.
Shooting shatters Calif. courthouse window
PITTSBURG, Calif. (AP) — Authorities say a man fired a shotgun outside a San Francisco Bay Area courthouse, shattering a window in a jury assembly room.
No one was injured in the shooting around 7:45 a.m. Friday at the Arnason Justice Center in Pittsburg.
Authorities say the unidentified man fired two shots as he tried to retrieve the weapon from brush near the courthouse. They do not believe he targeted the courthouse, and did not immediately have a motive for the shooting.
Witnesses reported seeing the man flee in an SUV.
Contra Costa County Superior Court spokeswoman Mimi Lyster says the courthouse was locked down for about a half an hour.
It was closed to the public at the time of the shooting.
DOUBLE INITIAL KILLINGS
Naso's request to delay sentencing denied
(Information in the following story is from: Marin Independent Journal, http://www.marinij.com)
SAN RAFAEL, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California judge says there will be no delay in the sentencing of a convicted murderer who was condemned to death.
The Marin Independent Journal reports that 79-year-old Joseph Naso's requested on Friday to delay the hearing to next year. Naso said he wanted to time to prepare legal documents.
Naso received a death verdict by a unanimous jury this week.
The former photographer was convicted previously of murdering four women in the 1970s and 1990s. All four had matching initials: Roxene Roggasch, Carmen Colon, Pamela Parsons and Tracy Tafoya.
Marin County Superior Court Judge Andrew Sweet denied Naso's request and set the sentencing for Nov. 8.
SEX OFFENDER ARRESTED
Sex offender who fled Tucson is arrested in Mexico
(Information in the following story is from: Arizona Daily Star, http://www.azstarnet.com)
TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) — A sex offender who fled Tucson earlier this year after being charged with 10 counts of sexual exploitation of a minor has been arrested in Mexico.
Federal authorities say 66-year-old Dennis Marklin Foster was captured Thursday in Puerto Vallarta.
They say Foster is being held in a California jail while he awaits extradition to Tucson.
Tucson police served a search warrant on Foster's home last year and reported finding child pornography on his computer.
After his arrest in December, Foster was released to Pima County Pre-trial Services.
The U.S. Marshals Service learned in April that Foster had fled Tucson and an arrest warrant was issued.
The Arizona Daily Star reports that Foster was sentenced to prison in 1985 for sexual contact with a minor.
SCIENCE LAB WORKER-PORN CONVICTION
Computer technician convicted in child porn case
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — A federal jury has convicted a computer technician at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory of possessing child porn in his work computers.
The U.S. Attorney's office says Friday that 60-year-old David Busby of Richmond faces up to 20 years of prison when he is sentenced in December.
At trial, prosecutors showed evidence that internet traffic to child porn sites was detected on the National Energy Scientific Computing Center network in April 2010.
The internet traffic was isolated to a laptop used by Busby. His laptop and other work computers were searched, and investigators recovered about 1,400 child porn images that had been deleted from two of Busby's computers.
The defense argued that Busby accidentally downloaded the images onto his computers while trying to access legal child modeling sites.
Ex San Mateo Co. official sentenced in porn case
SAN MATEO, Calif. (AP) — The former head of San Mateo County's probation department has been sentenced to 10 months in jail for possessing child pornography on a work computer.
The San Mateo County Times reports 62-year-old Stuart Forrest apologized for possessing the images at his sentencing hearing Friday. But he still insisted that he bought the pictures as part of research for his job.
Prosecutors urged the judge in the case to impose the maximum sentence of three years, eight months in prison. But the judge imposed a 10-month sentence, plus three years' probation, because of his lack of prior convictions.
Forrest retired in December.
Gov. declares emergency for July LA freeway damage
LOS ANGELES (AP) — More than two months after a tanker truck crash and subsequent fire damaged an LA freeway interchange, Gov. Jerry Brown has declared a state of emergency to free up funding to finish repairs.
The governor issued the declaration Friday for the July 13 crash when a truck flipped, spilled its gasoline and caught fire at a tunnel-like underpass connecting State Route 2 with Interstate 5 near Glendale.
The fire ignited nearby brush, and 7,500 gallons of gasoline flowed into the LA River and underground systems. No one was injured.
Brown's declaration said the repairs are beyond the control of local agencies. It makes the project eligible for special federal funding.
Such declarations usually come closer to actual events like flooding or wildfires, but at times come later during recovery.
Navy suspends company implicated in scheme
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Navy suspended a Singapore-based company and its president from contracting with the federal government after the arrests earlier this week in a bribery conspiracy scheme.
The president and chief executive officer of Glenn Defense Marine Asia Ltd., Leonard Francis, and his company and its affiliates are barred from federal contracts and can't receive benefits from federal assistance programs.
Navy Secretary Ray Mabus announced the suspension, which can last until the investigation is over, but not longer than 18 months unless legal proceedings have begun. Ongoing contracts can continue if needed, but no new work or anything beyond minimum requirements can be authorized.
Francis and two Navy workers were arrested in San Diego and face up to five years in prison if convicted of conspiracy to commit bribery.
Report: LA DWP can't find millions in public money
(Information in the following story is from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com)
LOS ANGELES (AP) — After giving about $40 million to two nonprofits charged with improving relations with its largest employee union, the Los Angeles Department of Water and Power admits it isn't sure how the public money has been spent.
The Los Angeles Times reports Friday that the Joint Training Institute and the Joint Safety Institute have received about $4 million per year since their creation more than a decade ago.
Records show nearly all of the nonprofits' money comes from DWP ratepayers. About $1 million was used to pay administrators and about $360,000 covered travel expenses.
A spokesman for Mayor Eric Garcetti says the mayor will meet with DWP managers to discuss where the rest of the money went.
Officials at the nonprofits, the DWP and the union declined to comment.
CALIFORNIA OIL DRILLING
Calif. governor signs state's first fracking rules
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation to establish California's first rules for how oil drillers use a technique known as fracking.
The measure from Democratic Sen. Fran Pavley of Agoura Hills requires drillers to disclose the chemicals they use and acquire permits before they use hydraulic fracturing. That process involves injecting water, sand and chemicals into deep rock formations to release oil or natural gas.
Drilling companies have been exploring whether fracking could help them access oil in California's Monterey Shale.
Pavley's bill was approved last week amid concerns from some conservation groups over last-minute changes affecting environmental reviews.
Brown said in his signing message Friday that SB4 establishes strong environmental protections. He also says he will seek further changes next year to clarify the new requirements.
SAN DIEGO MAYOR
3 emerge as top candidates for San Diego mayor
SAN DIEGO (AP) — Two Democrats and a Republican have emerged as top contenders for San Diego mayor in an election to fill the rest of the term of Bob Filner, who resigned amid allegations of sexual harassment.
Ten candidates submitted the required number of signatures to appear on the Nov. 19 ballot as of early Friday afternoon, hours before the filing deadline. Another 29 took out nominating papers.
Among those submitting signatures are two-term Republican City Councilman Kevin Faulconer and Nathan Fletcher, a former Republican state assemblyman who recently became a Democrat.
Democratic City Councilman David Alvarez had not submitted signatures but has been actively campaigning.
The race is officially nonpartisan but party affiliation brings money and organizational muscle. If no one wins a majority, the top two finishers advance to a runoff.
TRANSGENDER YOUTH PROTECTIONS
Prop. 8 players join bid to repeal transgender law
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Two of the major players in the passage of California's now-defunct same-sex marriage ban are backing a campaign to overturn a new law allowing transgender students to choose which school restrooms they use and whether to play boys' or girls' sports.
The National Organization for Marriage announced Friday that it was working with another group that is trying to repeal the law at the ballot box. NOM provided early funding and organizing for the 2008 ballot initiative that outlawed same-sex marriages, known as Proposition 8.
Opponents of the transgender student law have until Nov. 8 to gather the 504,760 signatures needed to get a referendum that would nullify the statute on the November 2014 ballot.
The political strategist who ran the successful Proposition 8 campaign, Frank Schubert, has signed on to manage the effort.
LGBT PROCLAMATION FLAP
Porterville mayor removed from position
PORTERVILLE, Calif. (AP) — The mayor and vice mayor in the Central California town of Porterville, who were at center of a flap over a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender pride proclamation, have been removed from their positions by fellow council members.
The Porterville Recorder reports that some residents saw the Porterville City Council's 3-2 decision to reorganize itself on Tuesday as retribution against Mayor Virginia Gurrola's issuing of the proclamation and vice mayor Pete McCracken's support of it.
But council members who voted for the change contend it had nothing to do with the proclamation. They said they support rotating council officers.
The same council members rescinded the mayor's LGBT pride proclamation.
In 2008, the City Council approved a resolution in support of Proposition 8, which banned gay marriage in California.
GOLDEN GATE BRIDGE-MEDIAN
GG Bridge officials approve median
SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — Golden Gate Bridge officials have approved the purchase of a $26.5 million steel and concrete median to separate southbound and northbound traffic.
The bridge's board of directors on Friday accepted the recommendation of its building and operating committee in favor of buying the median and installing it during a 52-hour weekend bridge closure next year.
Opposing traffic on the bridge is currently separated by a row of yellow plastic tubes. Officials say the median would prevent head-on collisions. It would be moveable as well.
Oracle CEO Ellison's pay drops 18 pct to $78.4M
REDWOOD CITY, Calif. (AP) — The value of Oracle founder and CEO Larry Ellison's pay package dropped 18 percent in fiscal 2013, to $78.4 million, after the company missed its internal financial targets and he declined his annual cash bonus.
That's according to a securities filing made Friday and reviewed by The Associated Press.
Ellison is one of the highest-paid executives in the country.
The biggest chunk of compensation came in the form of stock options, valued at $76.9 million when they were issued. Ellison, 69, also received about $1.5 million worth of benefits. His annual salary is $1.
He voluntarily declined a cash bonus that would have come to about $1.2 million.
The AP's calculation counts salary, bonuses, perks and stock and options awarded to the executive during the year.
Testimony ends in civil trial over Jackson's death
LOS ANGELES (AP) — Testimony has ended in a negligence lawsuit against the promoter of Michael Jackson's planned comeback concerts.
Closing arguments in the case are expected to begin on Tuesday and jurors will likely begin deliberating next week.
Lawyers for Jackson's mother concluded testimony in the 21-week case on Friday after jurors heard from Jackson's longtime personal physician, Dr. Allan Metzger, and his attorney.
Metzger testified about Jackson's skin conditions, burns and other injuries that required medical care from a variety of doctors.
Jackson's mother is suing concert promoter AEG Live LLC claiming it negligently hired Conrad Murray, then a cardiologist who was later convicted of causing the death of the superstar in 2009.
AEG Live denies it hired Murray or bears any responsibility for the singer's death.
Disney, Bruckheimer to end longtime partnership
LOS ANGELES (AP) — The Walt Disney Co. has announced that it would not renew its first-look deal with producer Jerry Bruckheimer.
The 69-year-old Bruckheimer produced such hits for the studio as "Pirates of the Caribbean," ''National Treasure," ''Armageddon," ''Con Air" and "The Rock."
The company said it will continue to focus on its branded properties from Disney, Pixar, Marvel and Lucasfilm.
Disney said it will keep working with Bruckheimer on the fifth installment of "Pirates of the Caribbean. The release date for the fifth movie in the series was removed from Disney's distribution schedule earlier this month. It was originally scheduled to launch July 10, 2015.
The move comes after Bruckheimer's "The Lone Ranger" failed at the box office this summer.
TV's leading ladies celebrate before Emmys
BEVERLY HILLS, Calif. (AP) — Television's leading ladies have stepped out in stilettos to celebrate at Variety and Women in Film's annual Emmys party.
Jane Lynch, Laura Prepon and Michelle Trachtenberg were among the actresses who walked the white carpet Friday night in Beverly Hills. The event honors the female nominees for Sunday night's Emmy awards.
Lynch is set to honor her late "Glee" costar Cory Monteith, who died earlier this year. She says she's glad the Emmys are including the memorial to the 31-year-old actor because there "fans out there who are grieving."
Prepon talked about her Netflix series "Orange is the New Black," wearing white and black patterned heels. She says she hopes the show earns Emmy nods next year and promises surprising moments in its second season.