Calif. man accused of killing, cooking wife dies
SAN DIEGO (AP) — A San Diego County man accused of killing his 73-year-old wife and then cooking her body parts has died of cancer while awaiting trial.
The district attorney's office announced Friday that 69-year-old Frederick Hengl of Oceanside died of prostate cancer Sept. 27 in the jail infirmary.
Hengl was arrested last November after neighbors complained of a foul odor coming from his home. Police found the head of his wife, Anna Faris, in a freezer and dismembered parts of her body cooking on a stove.
Hengl denied killing his wife, who reportedly suffered from Alzheimer's disease. The couple had been married 34 years.
His preliminary hearing was postponed recently because of his need for medical treatment. It had been set for Nov. 18.
OLDEST NATIONAL PARK RANGER-FURLOUGHED
Nation's oldest full-time park ranger furloughed
RICHMOND, Calif. (AP) — A 92-year-old Northern California woman who is the nation's oldest full-time national park ranger has joined the ranks of those currently out of work due to the ongoing government shutdown.
Betty Reid Soskin, who works at the Rosie the Riveter World War II Home Front National Historical Park in Richmond, CA, says she is devastated after being furloughed earlier this week.
Soskin on Friday says her job at the park and museum that honors the women who worked in factories during wartime is what keeps her going.
After a life in public service, Soskin became a park ranger seven years ago leading tours at the historical park.
She hopes the furlough will end before Oct. 12th. That's when the park is set to host its annual Home Front Festival which she has been working on for months.
Brown OKs bill allowing more than 2 legal parents
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — Gov. Jerry Brown has signed legislation making California the fifth state to allow judges to declare a child has more than two legal parents.
Current law allows courts to acknowledge only two people as parents, which advocates say does not give judges any leeway to exercise judgment.
SB274 by Democratic Sen. Mark Leno of San Francisco allows a judge to legally recognize additional parents if failing to do so would be detrimental to a child.
Leno's bill was prompted by a 2011 court case involving a California girl whose legal parent could not care for her and whose biological father was deemed not a parent. She ended up in state custody when her birth mother was incarcerated and her other legal parent was hospitalized.
Brown vetoed similar legislation last year.
AIR TANKER-HARD LANDING
Calif air tanker makes hard landing
HEMET, Calif. (AP) — A Cal Fire air tanker has made a hard landing at a Southern California airport, spilling its fire retardant but no one was injured.
The plane returned to Hemet-Ryan Airport late Friday after helping out with a 10-acre blaze nearby when it had trouble with the landing. Fire officials say the only person on board was the pilot.
The airport's runway remained closed while Cal Fire works with the National Transportation Safety Board to determine the cause of the accident.
Officials hoped to remove the damaged plane by Saturday.
NATURAL GAS PIPELINE SHUTDOWN
Calif. judge orders PG&E to shut down gas pipeline
SAN CARLOS, Calif. (AP) — A Northern California judge has ordered Pacific Gas & Electric Co. to shut down a major natural gas pipeline due to concerns that could possibly lead to a deadly explosion, like the one that occurred in a San Francisco Bay Area suburb three years ago.
San Mateo County Judge George Miram signed a temporary injunction shortly after San Carlos City Manager Jaff Maltbie on Friday declared a state of emergency following the utility's refusal to act on the city's request to close gas transmission line 147.
The city says e-mails from PG&E officials question whether the pipeline dating back to 1929 had been properly maintained and inspected. Issues include external corrosion and fatigue cracks.
PG&E spokesman Greg Snapper says the utility had voluntarily reduced the flow of gas by 20 percent through line 147 and they are considering further reductions.
A hearing is scheduled on Oct. 24.
Man gets 120 years to life for molesting 3 girls
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — An Orange County man has been sentenced to 120 years to life in state prison and required to register as a lifetime sex offender for molesting three girls between the ages of 9 and 11 while they were visiting his home.
The district attorney's office says 46-year-old Omar Alirio Guzman of Mission Viejo was sentenced Friday. In July, a jury found him guilty of eight felony counts of lewd acts on a child with sentencing enhancements for substantial sexual conduct and multiple victims.
Between February 2009 and December 2010, Guzman sexually assaulted 10-year-old, 9-year-old and 11-year-old girls while they were at his house to visit a child relative for a play date or sleepover.
Calif. man sentenced for killing toddler
SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — An Orange County man has been sentenced to 31 years to life in state prison for beating an 18-month-old girl to death and abusing another child.
The district attorney's office says 27-year-old Juan Carlos Aguilar of Santa Ana was sentenced Friday for the murder of his girlfriend's niece.
A jury found Aguilar guilty of murder, assault on a child, and child abuse in August.
In July 2011, Aguilar shared an apartment with his girlfriend and their 3-year-old daughter, his girlfriend's sister and her baby.
When they were alone, Aguilar assaulted the baby, giving her bruises, lacerations, and injuring her lungs, liver and brain. The baby was pronounced dead at a hospital.
During the investigation, prosecutors learned that Aguilar abused another child in 2009, who survived similar injuries.
West Nile death reported in San Bernardino County
SAN BERNARDINO, Calif. (AP) — San Bernardino County health officials say a person has died after being infected with the West Nile virus.
The Riverside Press Enterprise says the death was reported Friday. The person's name, age and gender were not immediately made public.
The death was the seventh this year in California due to West Nile virus. The other fatalities occurred in Los Angeles, Glenn, Sacramento and San Joaquin counties.
The virus is transmitted through the bite of an infected mosquito that has fed on an infected bird. One person died in San Bernardino County last year from the infection.
PEDESTRIAN ON FREEWAY
Teen struck on SF Bay Area freeway
OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — A teenager is in critical condition after he was struck by at least one car while running in pajama bottoms and a white shirt on a San Francisco Bay Area freeway.
The California Highway Patrol says the roughly 16 or 17-year-old boy was spotted on Interstate 580 in Oakland around 6:30 a.m. Friday. He was walking into lanes of traffic when he was struck.
The collision caused several other cars to crash and the freeway's eastbound lanes to close for about an hour.
Three people suffered minor injuries.
It's not clear why the teenager was on the freeway. Authorities say he did not have identification on him.
Texas' Rick Perry faults Obama for standoff
ANAHEIM, Calif. (AP) — Texas Gov. Rick Perry says President Barack Obama and congressional Democrats are to blame for the standoff in Washington that has led to a partial government shutdown.
The Republican, who is considering a 2016 White House run, said Friday he was stunned that the president and Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid have "stood up and said we are not negotiating."
He says Obama is willing shut down the government to score political points.
Perry made his remarks to reporters at a California Republican Party convention in Anaheim.
Later, he said both parties must recognize that a long-term standoff could damage the nation's credit or lead to default.
Lawmakers in Washington appeared headed for a weekend of squabbling, as the focus shifted to a midmonth deadline for averting a threatened default.
Stockton bankruptcy exit plan clears city council
(Information in the following story is from: The Record, http://www.recordnet.com/)
STOCKTON, Calif. (AP) — The city of Stockton's plan to emerge from bankruptcy has cleared the city council.
The Record of Stockton reports that the council voted 6-0 on Thursday to give Deis authority to file the plan with U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Christopher Klein. The plan could still face opposition from the city's creditors.
City officials have said the plan's success depends on voters approving a three-quarter-cent sales tax hike in November. The tax revenue would help close an $11 million deficit and allow for the hiring of 120 police officers.
City Manager Bob Deis said that over the plan's life it would cut $2 billion in labor and other costs from the city's budget.
The city filed bankruptcy in June 2012 after three years of multimillion-dollar deficits. It has been working since then to restructure its debts.
San Jose, MLB argue lawsuit over A's proposed move
SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) — Lawyers for the city of San Jose and Major League Baseball squared off in federal court over a lawsuit accusing the baseball governing body of unlawfully preventing the Oakland Athletics from moving to San Jose.
U.S. District Judge Ronald Whyte asked both sides questions Friday during the nearly two-hour hearing. He made no decision.
San Jose filed an antitrust suit against MLB and Commissioner Bud Selig in June asking the court to find MLB in violation of antitrust laws. MLB filed a motion in August to toss the case.
The A's are not part of the lawsuit.
San Jose City Attorney Richard Doyle said the A's on Monday paid the city $25,000 to extend the team's option, which was set to expire on Nov. 1, for another year.
The San Francisco Giants object to any A's move to San Jose, claiming they have territorial rights to the market.