Latest California news, sports, business and entertainment

TONSILLECTOMY-BRAIN DEAD GIRL

Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support

OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) — A judge has ordered a California hospital to keep a girl declared brain dead on life support following what was supposed to be a routine tonsillectomy.

At a hearing Friday, both sides in the case agreed to get together and chose a neurologist to further examine 13-year-old Jahi McMath and determine her condition. Another hearing was set for Monday.

The family sought the court order to keep Jahi on a ventilator while a second opinion is sought.

The family says doctors at Children's Hospital Oakland wanted to disconnect life support after Jahi was declared brain dead on Dec. 12.

In a statement, the hospital said it could not comment on the case because it had not been granted permission to do so by the family.

The family says the girl kept bleeding profusely after the surgery then went into cardiac arrest before her death.

BIG SUR FIRE

Big Sur wildfire is fully contained

BIG SUR, Calif. (AP) — An unusual late-fall wildfire in central California's Big Sur region is now fully contained.

Mark Nunez, the incident commander in charge of battling the blaze, announced Friday night that firefighters had achieved 100 percent containment of the blaze after working nonstop for nearly four days.

Nunez says the fire had burned through a total of 917 acres, or just under 1 ½ square miles, destroying 22 buildings, including 14 homes.

Big Sur — miles of rugged coast, cliffs and wilderness — is a popular tourist destination about 150 miles south of San Francisco with high-end resorts and beautiful views of the ocean. The fire was burning a little more than a mile from Ventana Inn and Spa, a favorite spot among celebrities where former Facebook president and Napster co-founder Sean Parker got married in June.

TUBERCULOSIS-HIGH SCHOOL

1,500 tested for TB at Southern California school

(Information in the following story is from: The Desert Sun, http://www.mydesert.com/)

INDIO, Calif. (AP) — More than 1,500 staff and students at a Southern California high school have been tested for tuberculosis after one student was diagnosed with the bacterial infection last month.

Riverside County health officials say nearly 1,400 students and faculty at Indio High School were tested on Friday and around 130 students had the TB tests on Monday.

Forty-five students have tested positive for possible exposure to the disease but more tests will be needed to determine whether they have active TB.

Students and staff will have to show proof of testing before they can return to school.

Health officials say they don't think the infections has spread to any other schools or surrounding neighborhoods.

CALIFORNIA BUS CRASHES

Man, 91, dies after Southern California bus crash

(Information in the following story is from: The Press-Enterprise, http://www.pe.com)

CORONA, Calif. (AP) — A 91-year-old man has died after a Southern California bus crash — the second death from a series of crashes that injured dozens.

The Riverside Press-Enterprise says Khang Tieu of Midway City died Thursday night, eight hours after a bus returning from a San Diego County casino overturned on Interstate 15 in Corona.

Some two dozen people were hurt. The Highway Patrol says the bus was doing 65 mph — an unsafe speed for the rain-slick roadway.

Also Thursday, a bus heading to another casino overturned on Interstate 15 near Fallbrook. Sixty-four-year-old Tayde Murguia of Los Angeles was killed and 19 others were hurt.

And at least 14 people were hurt Thursday morning in an accident involving a Riverside County transit bus near Perris.

FATAL SHOOTING-UNARMED SUSPECT

Father saw son killed by LA police on live TV

(Information in the following story is from: Los Angeles Times, http://www.latimes.com)

LOS ANGELES (AP) — A father who saw his son killed by Los Angeles police on live television has filed a $20 million claim with the city.

The Los Angeles Times says 80-year-old Bill Beaird wept Friday as he described watching the Dec. 13 shooting. Beaird says his son, Brian, called to say his Corvette was being chased by police but he'd done nothing wrong. The father says he advised his son to stop.

Beaird says he watched as the Corvette hit a car and spun onto a downtown sidewalk, the driver got out, raised his hands and was shot.

Preliminary reports indicate officers fired more than 20 shots at the unarmed man.

Police Chief Charlie Beck says he's concerned about the shooting and has placed three officers on leave pending investigation.

ONLINE ROMANCE-DEATH PLAN

Man gets prison for planned romance scam revenge

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A Michigan man has been sentenced to five years in prison for traveling to San Diego with plans to kill two people he believed scammed him in an online romance.

Federal prosecutors say Brian Hile of Fremont, Mich., was sentenced Friday for interstate stalking.

Authorities say Hile became enraged after learning he'd had a two-year online romance with a South African man posing as a woman.

Prosecutors say Hile tracked down the woman he'd seen in the online photos — although her pictures actually had been stolen.

Prosecutors say Hile hacked email accounts and got information on the woman and her boyfriend, then travelled to their home in 2011 with a plan to kill them. He was arrested in San Diego with a list that included a knife and chloroform.

SANTA ANA POLICE SHOOTINGS

OC DA won't charge police for deadly shooting

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) — No charges will be filed against two Santa Ana police officers who killed a man and injured another in a shooting that followed a March car chase.

A prosecutor from the Orange County district attorney's office sent a letter this week to the interim police chief that says the officers' actions were reasonable and justified.

However, the letter didn't reveal any details of the incident.

Police say the shooting occurred after a freeway chase involving a stolen car, which ended when the vehicle crashed at a Santa Ana intersection and two men fled.

Forty-one-year-old Jason Hallstrom was shot and killed while 29-year-old Travis Mock was wounded.

Mock has pleaded not guilty to charges that include unlawfully taking a vehicle and evading police.

HOMELESS KILLING

CA drug dealer who set woman afire gets life term

(Information in the following story is from: San Francisco Chronicle, http://www.sfgate.com)

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — A San Francisco drug dealer has been sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for the 2007 killing of a homeless woman whom she burned alive.

A jury in October convicted 36-year-old Mia Sagote of murder, kidnapping and robbery with special circumstances including torture.

Prosecutors said the victim, 49-year-old Jill May, was a crack addict struggling to turn her life around. The father of May's three children, they said, refused to pay Sagote $150 for crack.

The San Francisco Chronicle reports that Sagote beat May, then became angry after May reported the incident to police.

The next day, the Chronicle says, Sagote and a fellow dealer drove May to a parking lot at Candlestick Park, where she was doused in gasoline and set afire.

AUTOPSY PHOTO LAWSUIT

Mom agrees to settle suit over child autopsy photo

(Information in the following story is from: U-T San Diego, http://www.utsandiego.com)

SAN DIEGO (AP) — A woman who sued San Diego County over the release of an autopsy photo of her 2-year-old son has settled the privacy case for $125,000.

A lawyer for Brenda Marsh tells U-T San Diego that she settled the case before state trial last month. The attorney, Donny Cox, says the county didn't acknowledge any liability.

The paper says county officials declined to comment.

Marsh's son, Phillip Buell, died in 1983. Her boyfriend, Kenneth Marsh, claimed the boy accidentally hit his head but he was convicted of beating the child to death. Marsh spent 21 years in prison before charges were dropped.

When he sought compensation for the imprisonment, the original prosecutor sent local media materials that included the child's autopsy photo — prompting the lawsuit.

MCDONALD'S SETTLEMENT

McDonald's to pay $50g to settle beard suit

FRESNO, Calif. (AP) — McDonald's has agreed to pay $50,000 to settle a lawsuit that claimed it discriminated against a Muslim employee in Fresno who wasn't allowed to grow a beard.

The U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission says the settlement was reached Thursday with McDonald's Restaurants of California.

According to the suit, Shaheed Khan was a crew trainer at a Fresno McDonald's in 2005 when he asked to wear a beard to work, citing religious beliefs. He quit after the request was refused.

The commission filed a lawsuit alleging civil rights violations. Under the settlement, McDonald's agreed to pay $50,000 to Shaheen and to reinforce training of its managers and staff on existing anti-discrimination policies.

The company didn't acknowledge any wrongdoing.

SURF CITY DISTURBANCE

Man sentenced for setting fires after surf contest

WESTMINSTER, Calif. (AP) — A Southern California man who set fires during a night of violence that followed a Huntington Beach surfing contest has been sentenced to a dozen days in jail.

City News Service says Illario Johnson also was sentenced to perform 200 hours of community service on Friday after pleading guilty to felony arson two misdemeanors.

The 18-year-old Chino man was arrested days after the July 28 melee that followed the U.S. Open of Surfing.

A crowd surged through downtown Huntington Beach streets. The mob broke windows, damaged police cars, fought and looted, causing several injuries and thousands of dollars in damage.

Police eventually arrested 20 people.

POLICE-GAG GIFT

Escondido police chief apologizes for gag gift

(Information in the following story is from: U-T San Diego, http://www.utsandiego.com)

ESCONDIDO, Calif. (AP) — A Southern California police chief has apologized for a holiday party gag prize that included mug shots of intoxicated people.

U-T San Diego says photos of alcoholics arrested under a habitual offenders program were in a basket that also contained beer and wine.

It was a door prize at a party hosted last weekend by an Escondido police labor union.

Escondido Police Chief Craig Carter sent the paper a statement on Thursday apologizing and saying he should have recognized the insensitive and inappropriate nature of the prize.

The president of the Escondido Police Officers Association, Mike Garcia, apologized on Friday.